Laser hair removal is one of the most effective hair removal techniques available today. Some of the most common traditional methods of body hair removal include shaving, plucking, waxing, and using chemical substances to dissolve away hair; but these methods offer only short-term solutions.
On the other hand, laser hair removal has proven effective in providing long-term and highly noticeable results. Since its inception in 1996, laser technology has undergone dramatic advances, enabling it to become a leading form of hair removal treatment.
Am I a Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
Candidates for laser hair removal in Oklahoma City include any individual with unwanted body hair. Studies have found that up to 22 percent of women in North America have undesired facial hair, which can have negative emotional and psychological effects. Similarly, men experience emotional disturbances and anxiety due to unwanted or excessive body hair. By providing effective and long-term removal of undesired body hair, laser hair removal allows patients to feel more confident and satisfied with their bodies and themselves.
Beyond these fundamental emotional and psychological benefits, laser hair removal also provides effective treatment for the following skin and hair disorders:
- Hirsutism—abnormal and excessive hair growth on a woman's face or body
- Hypertrichosis—an abnormal amount of body hair growth
- Pseudofolliculitis barbae—excessive numbers of ingrown hairs that can lead to permanent skin damage
- Acne keloidalis nuchae—excessive number of ingrown hairs on a person's head that can lead to permanent scarring or other skin damage
Individuals with the following conditions should seek further medical advice before deciding to pursue laser hair removal:
- Chronic or active herpes simplex infections
- A history of extreme scarring or keloid formation
- Patients currently taking any form of photosensitizing drug
- Individuals who have taken Accutane within the previous six months
- Also of note, tattoos may change in color or brightness following laser hair removal treatment
How Laser Hair Removal Works
Laser hair removal works by destroying the hair follicle and thereby inhibiting future hair growth. By using a concentrated beam of light set at a very particular wavelength and pulse duration, lasers are able to disrupt normal hair growth by damaging the hair matrix stem cell and destroying hair follicles. Satisfactory long-term hair removal is usually accomplished after a minimum of five laser treatments, with treatments occurring one to three months apart from one another.
What Happens After Laser Hair Removal?
Immediately after receiving a laser hair removal treatment in OKC, patients should use a cold compress or ice pack to decrease any pain, redness, or swelling that may occur. These side effects are common, and should generally not be very serious. For more extreme skin reactions, a topical cream or oral antibiotic may be administered.
After receiving a treatment, patients should schedule any follow-up treatments with Dr. Benien. Slow re-growth of hair in treated areas is to be expected following early treatments, but will decrease as additional treatments are received.